Resilient and vibrant Ecological Organic Agricultural systems for enhanced food and nutrient security, and sustainable development in Africa.
To scale up ecologically and organically sound strategies and practices through institutional capacity development, scientific innovations, market participation, public policies and programs, outreach and communication, efficient coordination, networking and partnerships in Africa.
The Overall Goal of the EOA Initiative
To mainstream Ecological Organic Agriculture into national agricultural systems by 2025 in order to improve the quality of life for all African citizens.
The EOA-I aims to transform and create sustainable food systems through promoting ecologically sound strategies and practices among diverse stakeholders in production, processing, marketing and policy making, to safeguard the environment, improve livelihoods, alleviate poverty and guarantee food security.
GOAL: To mainstream Ecological Organic Agriculture into national agricultural production systems by 2025 in order to improve agricultural productivity, food security, access to markets and sustainable development in Ethiopia (To improve quality of life for farm households resulting from mainstreaming ecological organic agriculture (EOA) practices and technologies into agricultural systems).
EOA-I Strategic Areas of Implementation
- Research and applied knowledge,
- information communication and extension,
- Value chain and market development, and
- Management, coordination and governance.
Objectives of the EOA Initiative
- To increase documentation of information and knowledge on organic agricultural products along the complete value chain and support relevant actors to translate it into practices and wide application;
- To systematically inform producers about the EOA approaches and good practices and motivate their uptake through strengthening access to advisory and support services;
- To substantially increase the share of quality organic products at the local, national and regional markets; and
- Strengthen inclusive stakeholder engagement in organic commodities value chain development by developing national, regional and continental multi-stakeholder platforms to advocate for changes in public policy, plans and practices